Celebrating unique individual voices and finding harmony in collaboration, DanceWorks Chicago is dedicated to creating an environment conducive to nurturing experiences of significance for everyone from artist to audience.
DWC Artistic Director Julie Nakagawa leads opportunities to engage with dance and dancers through a diverse offering of movement and music in each presentation. With an emphasis on finding and sharing one’s voice, the six diverse professional dancers of DanceWorks Chicago interpret an engaging repertoire with their highly personal approach to each dance. The breadth of the works presented will showcase multiple movement vocabularies and styles through which choreographers express themselves. Furthermore, the layer of the human voice in the soundscape accompanying the dance, whether as simple breath, as an instrumentalist (as in a beatboxer), as a vocalist, or as a voice-over artist, will expose audiences to another layer of artistic expression able to be articulated by the human body.
Each presentation will encourage multiple points of connection with dance and the art of self-expression as well as include a chance for conversation with the dancers. DanceWorks Chicago will energize and inspire everyBODY.
Availability: Please Inquire
For all ages
- Private dressing room close to stage (prefer no student bathroom)
- Floor cannot be concrete or tile, or floors that have concrete or tile foundations- please notify Urban Gateways of floor material
- PA system with CD/iPod hookup
- Clean, open space approximately 25’ deep by 30’ wide for dancing
- One microphone, preferably wireless
- Access to electrical outlets
- Two hour pre-show rehearsal time is requested for group warm up and performance set-up. Please contact Urban Gateways if your school might be interested in having students observe this warm up (ballet class)
The assembly was received with enthusiasm by a wide variety of students and faculty due to the variety in the musical selections within the performance. The Athletic Director was wowed by the athleticism and beauty of the music and movement even though he confessed that this was totally out of his realm of experience. It was a big "thumbs up"! Thanks for bringing such amazing artists into our schools.Teacher, Chicago Christian High School