Seeking New Members, Urban Gateways Board of Directors
About Urban Gateways:
Urban Gateways engages young people in arts experiences to inspire creativity and impact social change (mission). The institution is celebrating 60 years as a catalyst for creative youth voices in our city through multiple initiatives built with a broad network of local and national partnerships. This is an exciting time to join Urban Gateways’ Board of Directors as we chart our course for the next 60 years.
The team at Urban Gateways works to overcome social and economic barriers for youth to access Chicago’s artistic and cultural vitality, fostering a more creative and artistically responsive society. Urban Gateways was founded in 1961 to connect youth to the city’s many arts and culture institutions as a vital tool for personal growth and expanded opportunities. Through a range of initiatives, young people acquire and refine artistic skills, demonstrate their talents, engage in critical thinking, explore new possibilities, and contribute to the civic discourse of our community. Urban Gateways works across the metro area and in nearly every Chicago ward, with concentrated efforts in South and West side communities. The organization conducts Arts Education, Creative Youth Development, and Civic Engagement initiatives that reach over 90,000 youth across 250 locations annually.
Members of the Board of Directors oversee governance and fiduciary responsibilities and leverage their knowledge, expertise and resources in service of Urban Gateways as a 501c3 Non-Profit institution. Board Members work collaboratively with the President & CEO and staff to achieve the organization’s programmatic, operational, and financial goals and priorities. Urban Gateways offers an inclusive environment that celebrates collaboration and thinking differently to solve the challenges before us. Our goal is to be a diverse community at all levels that is representative of the populations we serve.
Member, Non-Profit 501c3 Board of Directors
Volunteer, no compensation. 2-3 hours per month average. Evening meetings and weekend events. Five Board meetings per year.
In addition to the pride Board Members take in their role in overseeing the delivery of Urban Gateways renowned programming, they also receive the following tangible benefits:
- The prestige of being associated with a well-recognized and highly respected institution. With its 60- year history, Urban Gateways is one of Chicago’s largest and most comprehensive arts service providers.
- Access to a network of prominent civic and business leaders.
- Invitation to all Urban Gateways events including touring performances, artist special events, and multimedia program offerings.
- Promotional and recognition opportunities for the companies represented by Board Members including print, media, and website visibility.
- Special attention given to adding or increasing programming for the communities in which the companies represented by Board Members do business, often resulting in increased financial stability for those communities and a stronger workforce for the future.
- Advocate for Urban Gateways’ mission, purpose, goals, policies, and programs.
- Serve at least one two-year term, including serving on at least one committee. Committees include Resource Development, Board Governance, Innovation and Advocacy, and Finance.
- Fulfill responsibilities of governance and oversight of organization, including the organization’s financial health.
- Contribute financially to Urban Gateways by giving annually through various fundraising options.
- Recruit new members to the Board of Directors.
- Disclose any conflicts of interest with the Board, if they arise, and actively work with the Board to resolve or determine appropriate action.
- Attend Board and committee meetings and take an active role in discussion and activities.
- Attend and promote Urban Gateways events to friends, family, and colleagues.
- Promote Urban Gateways to personal and professional networks, and seek support for annual fundraising campaigns.
We seek leaders in their respective professional fields who possess the following attributes:
- Demonstrated breadth and depth of management and leadership experience, preferably in a senior leadership role in a large or recognized organization.
- Is an expert specific to arts and education, a donor committed to arts access and equity, and/or a community leader able to attract new resources.
- Integrity and high ethical standards.
- Commitment to the mission of the organization.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access. Sensitive to the needs of diverse communities where Urban Gateways operates.
- Adds diversity to the mix of individuals comprising the Board, including age, gender, race, background, expertise, etc.
- Informed, available, and engaged; willing to attend meetings and represent the organization or its interests at events; willing to help bring in necessary resources.
- Is a conscientious steward who is as interested in the business of developing the organization and monitoring its health as they are in engaging with Urban Gateways programs.
Candidates with expertise in public relations, finance, creative industries, technology, and real estate are highly desirable.
Comments & How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send a statement of interest and resume to Eric Delli Bovi, President & CEO, at [email protected] with Board Member Positions as the subject line.
Interested in other volunteer opportunities like Urban Gateways’ Associate Board? Find more information here >>
Urban Gateways staff is currently fully remote until further notice. The ideal candidate will reside in the Chicago area for meetings and events as needed and in accordance with current COVID-19 safety protocols.