Urban Gateways engages young people in arts experiences to inspire creativity and impact social change. We work to overcome social and economic barriers for youth to access Chicago’s artistic and cultural vitality. Our vision is a creative and artistically responsive society.
Our programs are delivered by experienced professional artists and staff who guide program participants through music, dance, theater, digital media, literary, and visual arts experiences – engaging young people, their teachers, families, and communities with the power of creativity and the arts. We reach over 80,000 young people across about 250 locations annually. Programs are 100% free to participants.
The Urban Gateways Associate Board’s mission is to promote and support Urban Gateways’ efforts to offer arts education programs to all young people, while also promoting Urban Gateways artists and local artists/institutions.’
The Associate Board supports Urban Gateways arts programs through event-based fundraising activities. Members have the unique opportunity to advocate the work of Urban Gateways to a fresh, diverse, and young constituency, enhance existing fundraising efforts, and cultivate future organizational leadership. The Associate Board welcomes people of all backgrounds and income brackets.
Responsibilities & Expectations
- Interest in collaborating with other Chicagoans that prioritize the arts, arts participation, and art making.
- Support and share the mission of Urban Gateways: Urban Gatewaysengages young people in arts experiences to inspire creativity and impact social change.
- Attend at least half of the quarterly board meetings.
- Pay annual dues of $100 (we suggest setting up monthly payments of $10 on our website at the beginning of each year).
- Complete the annual expectation of a $500 give/get through participating in fundraising activities such as events and drives/campaigns.
- Promote and sell tickets to social and fundraising events.
- Serve on at least one committee (Events, Marketing, or Membership)
Associate Board Committees
- Events Committee: Responsible for the planning of social and networking outings and fundraising events. This includes logistics of event planning such as finding venues, soliciting donations, sponsorship, or in-kind support, as well as silent auction and raffle prize procurement. It also includes establishing volunteer duties and day-of assignments during events.
- Marketing Committee: Responsible for overseeing publicity and communications for the Associate Board and related events, including but not limited to fliers, social media posts, press releases, event listings, and other promotional materials.
- Membership Committee: Responsible for email newsletters, keeping an updated member directory, establishing and implementing an on-boarding process for new members, identification and recruitment of new members, as well as ensuring all members are meeting membership requirements (dues payments, meeting attendance, give-/get requirements, etc).
Fall Happy Hour
Wednesday, September 25, 6-8pm
Sidebar Grille, 221 N LaSalle St, Chicago, IL
Fall is official, so enjoy the warmth while it lingers and join the Urban Gateways Associate Board at Sidebar Grille. Your Happy Hour ticket includes beer, wine, Moscow mules, appetizers – and of course, all proceeds support a great cause: Urban Gateways arts programs for young people in Chicago. See you Wednesday, September 25!
Friday, November 22, 6-9pm
Cava Room at Moe’s Cantina River North, 155 W Kinzie St
The Urban Gateways Associate Board’s swanky annual signature event featuring live performances, food, drink, and a silent auction. All proceeds support arts programs for young Chicagoans. Save the date to #partyforacause!
Summer Happy Hour
Thursday, August 8, 6-8pm
Kirkwood Bar & Grill, 2934 N Sheffield Ave, Chicago, IL
Join our Associate Board on Thursday, August 8 at Kirkwood Bar & Grill in Lakeview! Your ticket includes appetizers, beer, wine, and Moscow mules – plus, play our Balloon Pop game for a chance to win prizes. All proceeds support Urban Gateways programs that engage young people in inspiring arts experiences.
Associate Board Spring Happy Hour
Thursday, April 18 @ Fremont
Casual get-together with drinks + appetizers supporting Urban Gateways arts programs.
Friday, November 16 @ Cava Room (Moe’s Cantina River North)
The Associate Board’s swanky annual fundraiser featuring drinks, appetizer buffet, live performances, and a silent auction. All proceeds, as always, support arts programs for young Chicagoans.