Position: Manager of Individual Giving
The Manager of Individual Giving works collaboratively with the Chief Development Officer, Development Manager of Institutional Giving, and the President & CEO to fulfill the mission and achieve the organization’s fundraising goals.
Department: Development Department
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Status: Full-time Salaried Exempt, 40 hours per week with occasional evenings/weekends as needed
Salary: Mid-Level, Non-Supervisory Position – Upper $50,000 range
Benefits: Urban Gateways provides group health insurance with choices between HMO and PPO, Dental insurance, Life insurance, Long-term Disability, optional employee-paid Vision, an employee contributed medical Flexible Savings Account (FSA) option, and an employee contributed 401K retirement plan. Urban Gateways also has an Unlimited Paid-Time-Off (PTO) policy.
- Work closely with the Development team to support all fundraising efforts, including cultivation events and special events.
- Develop and implement plans for engaging, soliciting, and stewarding lower and mid-level donors.
- Work with Chief Development Officer to coordinate major gift solicitations and stewardship opportunities for individual donors.
- Work closely with Chief Development Officer and President & CEO to steward the Board and engage them in development activities, including managing their contacts, solicitations, and give/get reports.
- Coordinate direct mail appeals in partnership with Communications Department to develop messaging and timelines for fundraising appeals.
- Identify potential major donors and opportunities for gift increases through prospect research and tracking of relationships and communications.
- Recommend solicitation strategies to Chief Development Officer and Urban Gateways stakeholders.
- Report on solicitation results and reconcile monthly with the Finance team.
- Utilize Salesforce database to create and implement moves management process for individual donors.
- Maintain Salesforce database, including inputting, tracking, updating all donor and prospect records, and upholding database integrity with regular clean-up.
- Assist with donor recognition by generating thank you letters and updating Communications regarding donor recognition and lists for E-news and website.
- Serve as staff liaison for the Associate Board, Urban Gateways’ junior board.
- Assist with coordination of Resource Development Committee meetings.
- Assist Chief Development Officer and Development Manager of Institutional Giving (and other departments on occasion) with events, newsletters, meetings, etc. as needed.
- Five+ years of professional work experience with a track record of growing individual donor support and experience building a prospect pipeline
- Exceptional people skills including an ability to communicate both verbally and in writing, in a dynamic, engaging way
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines while maintaining a positive attitude and cool demeanor
- Must be collaborative, supportive, diplomatic, personable, poised, confident, self-aware, and able to manage confidential information with discretion
- Dedication to addressing inequity across all areas in which Urban Gateways operates, from internal structures affecting staff, participants, and artists, to the city and systems in which we function
- The individual in this role is expected to fully participate in Urban Gateways’ racial equity efforts which may include staff projects and meetings, and ongoing work to examine where our work and partnerships may enforce oppressive structures or systems
- Demonstrates a creative approach to both new opportunities and problem solving
- Possesses the ability to think both creatively and critically, often both at the same time
- Must be a team player with the utmost integrity, who is detail oriented, results-driven, and flexible
- Background check and Covid-19 vaccination required for employment
- Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM platforms
- Experience with Chicago’s philanthropic community, particularly in the arts
Salary is upper $50,000 range, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package, with generous time off, paid medical and dental insurance, with flexible work options.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with Development Manager of Individual Giving as the subject line. Applications will be accepted until May 30 and interviews will begin June 1. We will make every effort to accommodate candidates’ schedules and needs in all parts of the hiring process.
The Urban Gateways staff is currently fully remote until further notice. The ideal candidate will reside in the Chicago area for meetings and events as needed and in accordance with current COVID-19 safety protocols.
About Urban Gateways
Urban Gateways is celebrating 60 years as a catalyst for creative youth voices in our city through multiple initiatives built with a broad network of local and national partnerships. Our mission is to: Engage young people in arts experiences to inspire creativity and impact social change.
The team at Urban Gateways works to overcome social and economic barriers for youth to access Chicago’s artistic and cultural vitality, fostering a more creative and artistically responsive society. Urban Gateways was founded in 1961 to connect youth to the city’s many arts and culture institutions as a vital tool for personal growth and expanded opportunities. Through a range of initiatives, young people acquire and refine artistic skills, demonstrate their talents, engage in critical thinking, explore new possibilities, and contribute to the civic discourse of our community. Urban Gateways works across the metro area and in nearly every Chicago ward, with concentrated efforts in South and West side communities. The organization conducts Arts Education, Creative Youth Development, and Civic Engagement initiatives that reach nearly 100,000 youth across 250 locations annually.
Urban Gateways offers an inclusive environment that celebrates collaboration and thinking differently to solve the challenges before us. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative at all job levels of the population we serve. Urban Gateways is deeply committed to the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusivity. Individuals from groups whose voices are not traditionally represented in arts education spaces are particularly encouraged to apply.