Our mission at Urban Gateways is to engage young people in arts experiences to inspire creativity and impact social change.
Urban Gateways remains a catalyst for creative youth voices in our city through multiple initiatives built with a broad network of local and national partnerships. Growth and innovation are the themes in the current strategic plan, making this the best time to join our dynamic, team-based staff.
Position: Grant Writer
Urban Gateways seeks an experienced Grant Writer to join its Development team.
The Grant Writer writes and submits funding proposals, grant applications, reports, and updates to funders. She/he will research and identify government, corporate, and foundation grant funding opportunities for the purpose of developing additional funding resources for the organization. The Grant Writer will support the Development Director in the stewardship of institutional funders and incorporating funder representatives into special events and other recognition/benefit opportunities. S/he is responsible for coordinating all related information on the eligibility, applications cycles, special stipulations, grant application deadlines, restrictions, grant submission processes, including the packaging, presentation, and follow-up. The candidate complies with all grant reporting as required by grant funders. The optimal candidate will have excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills and will be a highly organized, creative thinker with a demonstrated background in grants management.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify and research corporate, foundation and government prospects.
- Manage the grants calendar and complete proposals and report documents for corporate, foundation and government funders and prospects to meet all deadlines.
- Assist in soliciting corporate underwriting support for special events.
- Work with Program Staff and the Director of Finance to gather pertinent grant information including budgets, program descriptions, and documentation.
- Assist Director of Development and Development Associate (and other departments on occasion) with events, appeals, newsletters, meetings, etc. as needed.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in arts or education-related field or equivalent and a minimum of five years of experience in arts-educational, youth or community-based programming.
- Working knowledge of Chicago’s funding communities is a major plus.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience with Salesforce preferred.
- Ability to work with a variety of people.
- Ability to manage numerous projects and tasks while maintaining a positive attitude and cool demeanor.
- Must be a team player.
Salary is in the low $40,000 range. Excellent benefits package. No phone calls please. Interested Candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Grant Writer in the subject line.
About Urban Gateways
Urban Gateways engages young people in arts experiences to inspire creativity and impact
social change. The organization works to overcome social and economic barriers for youth to access Chicago’s artistic and cultural vitality, fostering a more creative and artistically
responsive society. Urban Gateways was founded in 1961 to connect youth to the city’s many arts and culture institutions as a vital tool for personal growth and expanded opportunities. Through a range of initiatives, young people acquire and refine artistic skills, demonstrate their talents, engage in critical thinking, explore new possibilities, and contribute to the civic discourse of our community. Urban Gateways works across the metro area and in nearly every Chicago ward, with concentrated efforts in South and West side communities. The organization conducts Arts Education, Creative Youth Development, and Civic Engagement initiatives that reach over 80,000 youth across 250 locations annually.