Urban Gateways is Chicago’s premier access point for youth arts experiences city-wide. The organization is dedicated to its mission to engage young people in arts experiences to inspire creativity and impact social change. It is an exciting time at Urban Gateways, as the organization will celebrate its 60th anniversary in 2021.
The Development Coordinator will work closely with the Chief Development Officer and Communications staff to fulfill the mission and achieve the vision of Urban Gateways. The Development Coordinator will manage the prospecting, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of Urban Gateways’ individual donor base. The optimal candidate will have excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, and will be a highly organized, creative thinker with a background in nonprofit Development.
- Work closely with Development team to support all fundraising efforts and serve as support staff for cultivation events and special events.
- Maintain Salesforce database, including inputting, tracking, updating all donor and prospect records, and upholding database integrity with regular clean-up.
- Utilize Salesforce database to create and implement move management process for individual donors.
- Assist with donor/funder recognition by generating thank you letters and updating donor wall.
- Work with Chief Development Officer to coordinate annual fund solicitations and stewardship opportunities for individual donors.
- Manage Board contacts, solicitations, and give/get reports.
- Coordinate direct mail appeals in partnership with Communications Department, including timeline, letter merges, and production.
- Identify potential major donors and opportunities for gift increases through prospect research and tracking of relationships and communications.
- Report on solicitation results and recommend solicitation strategies to Chief Development Officer and Urban Gateways stakeholders.
- Attend, take minutes, and help coordinate Resource Development Committee meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Examples: Public Relations, English, Journalism, Communications and/or Nonprofit, Organizational, or Arts Management) and experience working in nonprofit Development a plus.
- Experience with Salesforce and/or another donor management database highly preferred.
- Technical proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google applications.
- Knowledge of the Chicago philanthropic community a plus.
- Highly self-directed, well-organized, detail-oriented, and comfortable completing tasks with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Team player who exhibits professionalism.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to engage with individuals of all backgrounds and experiences.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and strong work ethic.
- Ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously while maintaining a positive attitude and a cool demeanor.
- Background in the arts desirable, but not necessary; passion for the arts and social justice essential.
Salary range $40K to $43K commensurate with experience. Urban Gateways offers paid individual health and dental insurance, and other employee benefits. The administrative staff is located within our program site in West Town. Please be comfortable with an open office floor plan and sharing space with program participants.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to HR@urbangateways.org and include “Development Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
About Urban Gateways
Urban Gateways engages young people in arts experiences to inspire creativity and impact social change. Urban Gateways works to overcome social and economic barriers for youth to access Chicago’s artistic and cultural vitality, fostering a more creative and artistically responsive society. Urban Gateways was founded in 1961 to connect youth to the city’s many arts and culture institutions as a vital tool for personal growth and expanded opportunities. Through a range of initiatives, young people acquire and refine artistic skills, demonstrate their talents, engage in critical thinking, explore new possibilities, and contribute to the civic discourse of our community. Urban Gateways works across the metro area and in nearly every Chicago ward, with concentrated efforts in South and West side communities. The organization conducts Arts Education, Creative Youth Development, and Civic Engagement initiatives that reach over 80,000 youth across 250 locations annually.