Urban Gateways is currently accepting applications for Teaching Artists!
Urban Gateways invites experienced teaching artists to join the roster to lead programs for school and community-based organizations across Chicago. We are looking for professional teaching artists in dance, literary arts, music, new media, theater, and visual arts who are passionate about sharing their art practice with young people, families, and adults through a variety of instructional programs and arts learning experiences.
Urban Gateways Teaching Artist Programs
- Teaching Artists develop and lead artist-in-residence projects through sequential lessons for all types of learners. Residencies reflect the artist’s unique skill set, the input of the partner, and the interests of program participants.
- Residency programs can be short- or long-term, ranging from just a few weeks to several months, and are available year-round.
- Urban Gateways connects a roster Teaching Artist with a partner, engaging the appropriate artist for a program according to scheduling and availability. Since every Artist-in-Residence program is customized, learning experiences are unique to each partner; no two residencies are ever the same.
- In-School Residency: Teaching Artists lead integrated arts experiences for students during instructional time that are developed in partnership with a classroom teacher.
- Out-of-School Residency: Teaching Artists lead before- or after-school classes on-site for students in a specific art form.
- Community-Based Residency: Teaching Artists partner with a community-based organization to develop hands-on art-making experiences for the young people and community members the organization serves.
- Workshops: Teaching Artists lead a one-time arts experience designed for young people, families, or community members.
- Professional Development: Teaching Artists train educators and/or youth workers in arts practices.
- Teaching Artists who are invited to join the roster are eligible to lead any of the above programs.
- Urban Gateways compensates roster Teaching Artists for instructional and planning time, program meetings, and culminating events such as youth showcases or performances.
- Urban Gateways Teaching Artists provide opportunities to experience arts learning through multiple access points, such as arts integration, direct instruction, trauma-informed, and youth-centered approaches.
- Teaching Artists also receive professional development opportunities, administrative support, regular feedback, and various other perks through Urban Gateways.
To apply, you must submit the following by 5pm on Monday, December 9, 2019:
- A completed ONLINE APPLICATION >>
- Supplemental Materials: Materials must be submitted online (preferred) or postmarked by Monday, December 9, 2019. All materials must be received or postmarked by this date for application to be considered.
Supplemental Materials Include:
- 1-2 examples of artistic work
- 1-2 samples of work in an educational setting
- A professional resume
- A letter of reference for educational work
For your application to be accepted and reviewed, all required materials must be submitted and in the formats specified on the application.
Please mail materials not submitted online to:
1637 N Ashland Ave Ste 1
Chicago, IL 60622
Attn: Kelly Jenkins
PLEASE NOTE: APPLICATION MATERIALS WILL NOT BE RETURNED UNLESS ACCOMPANIED BY A SELF-ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE WITH SUFFICIENT POSTAGE. APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED BY ARTISTS ACCEPTED TO THE ROSTER REMAIN ON FILE AT URBAN GATEWAYS.
- Applications without all required supplemental materials will NOT be reviewed.
- Applications are accepted and reviewed by a panel of Urban Gateways program staff.
- Selected artists will be asked to interview and may be observed in an educational setting.
- Accepted artists are eligible for contracted teaching work starting in January 2020. Once accepted, artists will not be asked to reapply annually.
- Urban Gateways hires teaching artists as needed.
- Please note: Joining the teaching artist roster does not guarantee work.
The application deadline is Monday, December 9, 2019. The ONLINE APPLICATION and Supplemental Materials must be received by 5pm.
IF YOU HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT:
Kelly Jenkins, Program Manager, Artist Development: email@example.com